Bournemouth manager Eddie Howe has insisted he wouldn’t sell Callum Wilson ‘at any price’.
The Cherries forward is enjoying a great season and has scored 10 goals in 23 games across all competitions this season, as well as scoring on his England debut against the USA back in November.
Has Wilson outgrown Bournemouth? Five key things to know…
- Callum Wilson moved to Bournemouth from Coventry in 2o14, scoring 23 goals during his first season as the Cherries reached the Premier League.
- Wilson has taken his total to 53 in 133 outings since then, despite various injury problems.
- The 26-year-old has scored 10 goals in 18 games so far this season, earning him an England debut in November.
- His form this term has led to rife speculation regarding a possible move to the likes of Chelsea and West Ham.
- However, Eddie Howe has insisted he wouldn’t sell Wilson ‘at any price’, naming him as one of his best players.
This form has led to rife speculation regarding Wilson’s future at the club, with the likes of Chelsea and West Ham thought to be looking at the 26-year-old.
However, speaking to reporters at a recent press conference, Howe attempted to quash these rumours, stressing he wouldn’t sell Wilson ‘at any price’.
“It’s just my opinion but I wouldn’t sell at any price,” Howe said. “But I’m the manager of the team, trying to create the best team I can.
“We desperately want to take the team forward and to do that, we have to keep our best players.
“He’s a very important member of the team. He has unique attributes which really complement what we do. He has been a really good goalscorer for us, which is the hardest thing to do in the sport. We value him very highly.
“I’ve been told about the speculation – it’s not something which I seek to read. It’s a waste of time for me to do so.
“It’s business as normal. Callum has been bright and bubbly this week so there are no problems there.”
Wilson is good enough for Chelsea, says Dion Dublin
With Chelsea’s current strikers, Olivier Giroud and Alvaro Morata, misfiring, it would be understandable if Maurizio Sarri has shown an interest in a player of Callum Wilson’s calibre and experience in the Premier League.
And despite Eddie Howe’s best efforts to dismiss rumours, many pundits are certainly fuelling the fire surrounding this speculation.
BBC pundit and former Aston Villa striker Dion Dublin recently rated Wilson as a £50m-striker and feels he would be more than capable of rising to Chelsea’s level.
“Yes he is [a £50m player], he’s got all the attributes to make them a better side going forward,” he told BBC Radio 5Live. “He’s possibly more of an out and out forward than what they have at present.”
Bournemouth travel to Everton for their next match on Sunday.