Kylian Mbappé has poured cold water on speculation linking him with a move away from Paris Saint-Germain this summer.
The 20-year-old sensation fired a blank as his side relinquished a 3-1 aggregate lead against Manchester United on Wednesday night, sending the Parisians crashing out of the Champions League in acrimonious fashion.
Could Mbappé leave this summer? Five key things to know…
- Mbappé joined PSG in 2017 but has been consistently linked with a move away from the French capital.
- Real Madrid are believed to be huge admirers of Mbappé, who previously refused to rule out a move to the Spanish capital.
- Real are yet to replace Cristiano Ronaldo – who left for Juventus last summer – and the club has been urged to sign Mbappé as his successor.
- Real were also forced to deny reports of a world-record bid for Mbappé last July following his superb performances at the 2018 World Cup.
- Mbappé, who is the current leading goalscorer in Ligue 1 (24), has now committed his future to PSG.
United made history after becoming the first club in Champions League history to overturn a first-leg two-goal deficit, subsequently condemning PSG to a third successive last-16 exit.
Despite this, Mbappé has now issued a vote of confidence in his current employers, telling the club he still “believes” the French giants can clinch continental silverware despite their latest setback against United.
Mbappé told Telefoot: “Football doesn’t stop, we’ll try to keep our heads up and finish the season strongly. It was our goal to progress – we work hard for that every day.
“It was a great atmosphere, we didn’t want to spoil the party, but it was ruined. There are many people who will have doubts and will doubt us in future, but I still believe in this project.
“I think that if we stick together we will succeed in doing something special with this club. If we were eliminated then it might be that we were just not up to the task.
“I’ll be here next year for sure, that’s already agreed. It doesn’t help to worry about my personal situation so that’s it. Clear and precise.”
Subscribe to Squawka’s Youtube channel here.
The importance of Mbappé
Mbappé’s latest comments will come as a huge sigh of relief for Thomas Tuchel and the PSG hierarchy as the importance of his role cannot be understated.
A winner of the inaugural Kopa Trophy, Mbappé has been in formidable form this season, scoring 29 goals in 33 appearances across all competitions.
The 28-time France international has largely shouldered the goalscoring burden in recent months with the absence of both Neymar and Edinson Cavani due to injury.
At present, no PSG player averages more shots per 90 minutes ratio than Mbappé (4.8) or averages a better goals per 90 (1.3) minutes ratio, while only Neymar (8.1) averages a better dribbles per 90 minutes (4.3) ratio.